Pugh Funeral Home can trace its roots back to 1857. Emory Kearns, a well-known Randolph County citizen, sold coffins and officiated at funerals as a sideline to his furniture store. An associate of Kearns, O.R. Fox, took over both businesses in 1885. Fox's son-in-law, Jess T. Pugh, joined the firm in 1921 and later purchased it in 1927. In 1932 Jess Pugh separated the funeral home from the furniture business and officially established Pugh Funeral Home.
The Randleman facility was established in 1938 and the Pugh-Troy Funeral Home was purchased in 1967 from Mr. Gene Reynolds. In 1984, the Pughs moved their Asheboro facility into a newly constructed home at 437 Sunset Avenue. By 1993, the Pughs had established Randolph County's first crematory- Central Carolina Crematory. In early 1999 Asheboro Florist and Interiors was purchased by the Pughs in order to offer convenience and availability to families selecting funeral flowers. The florist is now in other hands but enjoys a close working relationship with the funeral homes. Also in 1999, the Buckner Family of Siler City approached the Pughs regarding the purchase of their family's funeral home. Later that year Smith & Buckner Funeral Home of Siler City, North Carolina joined the Pugh family firms. In 2001, New Hope Memorial Gardens opened. This 42 acre site is becoming one of the premier cemeteries in the area. The initial 3 acres offer over 2800 interment spaces in a beautifully landscaped haven.
Early in 2017 Riley and Marilyn Phillips contacted the Pugh's. In March of 2017 Phillips Funeral Home in Star, North Carolina joined the Pugh family firms. Riley continues to manage the firm.
Throughout the years, the firm has remained family owned and operated. Jess Pugh's son, J.T. "Jack" Pugh, became President of the company in 1953. Today, the reigns of leadership are in the hands of two of his sons: Mac and Ed Pugh.
Pugh Funeral Home - 1932 (The Old C.C. Cranford Homeplace)
Mac Pugh (left) and Ed Pugh (right)
in front of an early portrait of their father Jack Pugh